Friday, October 22, 2010

Protect your Pet from Halloween Candy!

Why is chocolate bad for dogs? 

Chocolate can contain methylxanthine, which is a caffeine-like stimulant. If eaten in large amounts, chocolate may cause dogs to vomit and have diarrhea,  pant, have greater thirst and urination, be hyperactive, have abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and even die in severe cases.

The darker the chocolate, the higher chance of problems from methylxanthine poisoning. Baking chocolate contains the highest and white chocolate, the lowest, level of methylxanthine. As few as 20 ounces of milk chocolate (about 13 Hershey's chocolate candy bars)—or only two ounces of baking chocolate—can cause problems in a ten pound dog.

Be sure your Halloween treats are kept up high, out of reach of pets.  You may want to keep your pet confined in a back room on this night of trick or treating.  Children in costumes may be scared of your dog and your dog may be scared of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!
Julia from Priority Pets